Forget just taking supplement capsules – did you know you can make a smoothie that supports nail and hair health? And it’s delicious. Facial plastic surgeon Dr. Michelle Yagoda created a powder called Beauty Scoop containing special peptides and lipids (SPLs) – the building blocks necessary for healthy skin, hair and nails – as well as hyaluronic acid and collagen. Yagoda recommends using BeautyScoop in a tasty strawberry smoothie, and she’s sharing her preferred recipe:
BeautyScoop Protein-Packed Roasted Strawberry Smoothie
· 1 packet or 1 scoop of BeautyScoop
· 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
· 1 tablespoon raw sugar
· 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
· 1/2 cup low fat, organic milk
· 1 cup crushed ice
· 1 tsp chia seeds
1. Chop the apples and celery. Blend for a few minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl.
3. Pour the strawberries on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for about 12 to 15 minutes (or until the berries release their juices).
4. Combine BeautyScoop and other ingredients and blend until smooth.
5. Add strawberries and blend again. Sweeten to taste (if necessary). Enjoy!
The Benefits of Ice
While you’re enjoying your smoothie, save some of the extra ice for additional beauty benefit. Ice treatments can help you feel extra rejuvenated, decrease puffiness in eyes, increase circulation, and decrease pore size!
1. If you are feeling tired, applying ice to your eyes can help wake you up! Although it won’t be to the same effect as, say, a bucket of ice water being poured on you, studies have shown that by cooling down the eyelids, natural relaxation and rejuvenation is triggered in our brain. It is akin to hitting the “reset” button and can trick us into thinking we have relaxed longer than we have! If you have an ice mask, that will work even better.
2. Along those lines, icing the eyes can help puffiness below the lower lid. Instead of straight ice cubes, try frozen spoons. Just a few minutes ought to do it, and this can be a quick solution for looking tired due to lack of sleep (among other reasons!). If you have ever seen spas put slices of cold cucumbers over the eye area, it is the same principle… only stronger!
3. Have a long day ahead of you and don’t want your makeup to let you down? Try ice! Rubbing ice cubes on your face has been shown to make makeup last longer. Or, if you want to cut down on the amount of makeup you use, ice cubes can give your face a fresh and “dewy” complexion in an instant. Give it a shot when you are in a rush!
4. Finally, using ice cubes on your face can help increase circulation and reduce pore size. The former will help give the face (cheeks especially) a health, natural glow that persists long after you “treat” it with ice cubes. Some studies have also shown that regularly icing the face can help prevent wrinkles and pre-mature aging! Shrink your pores and prevent wrinkles at the same time?! Why not! The fact that it is free and easy is the “icing” on the cake!
Also see a few other tips for keeping your nails long and strong!
Images: Pamela Bates via Flickr, Beauty Scoop